Transmission Services We Handle
Transmission Repair Frequently Asked Questions
Time, heat and usage are the top contributors to problems with a transmission. These are very common to everyday use of a vehicle and can lead to big repair bills. Fortunately, regular maintenance is the best way to avoid expensive transmission repairs. Another way to avoid expensive transmission issues is to take your vehicle to an experienced technician as soon as it starts showing signs of problems. Do not wait for the problem to get worse.
Each manufacturer has different recommended check and service intervals for transmissions. To find yours, check your vehicle’s user manual. If you do not have the manual, you can look it up online using your vehicle’s make and model. You can also contact us at (310) 857-2309 if you have questions about servicing your transmission.
Wondering why your garage floor has stains on it? You may have a transmission fluid leak. Your car, truck or SUV can contain many gallons worth of liquids. Determining which fluid your vehicle is leaking could be critical in getting it fixed. Most transmission fluid is a pinkish or reddish color. If the stain on the ground is that color, you probably have a transmission leak. Another way to tell is by looking under your vehicle, locating the transmission and seeing if fluid is dripping.
Remember, discovering your transmission is leaking is different than knowing where that leak is coming from. A gasket, hose or torque converter seal could have issues. Unless you have some experience with auto repair, you should let a transmission tech determine the leak’s source and come up with a remedy.
Here are a few possible warning signs that your transmission needs repairs:
- Burning Smell – If you notice a burning smell, get your vehicle to the repair shop right away.
- Noise in Neutral – Are you hearing strange noises when you shift the vehicle into neutral? This is another sign of poor transmission health.
- Transmission Fluid Leaks – Keep an eye out for pinkish stains on your garage floor.
- Difficulty Changing or Maintaining Gears – If your vehicle’s engine seems to hang while shifting, or your revs spike without warning, you may have a serious transmission issue. See if you can have your vehicle towed for repairs. Some transmission issues might make your vehicle too dangerous to drive.
- Strange Sounds – Grinding sounds, humming, whining or clunking could be another warning sign of transmission issues. Strange sounds are an indicator of poor car health in general. Always get strange sounds checked out.
- The Transmission Does Not Respond – If you attempt to shift your vehicle and nothing happens, it is definitely time to get an inspection.