Vehicles can break down and suffer issues that require maintenance. Transmissions are no exception. However, with a transmission, there are often common causes of problems.
Depending on the issue, a transmission problem can necessitate an expensive repair job. This blog discusses some of the most common causes of transmission problems and warning signs.
The Top Warning Signs of Transmission Problems
Your transmission may give off warning signs if it is experiencing issues. Be on the lookout for the following warning signs.
- Leaking fluid. Low transmission fluid can lead to transmission problems. You should replace your transmission fluid as needed. If your vehicle’s transmission is leaking, it may be a sign of a problem.
- Gears are slipping. If your transmission has a problem, you may notice the transmission’s gears slip. It may slip out of gear without warning.
- The transmission makes noises. Your transmission may make noises if it is experiencing an issue. Be on the lookout for buzzing, humming or clicking noises. In some cases, noises can be a sign of a major issue.
- The transmission slips or revs high. If your transmission slips out of gear or revs high, then it could be a sign of internal wear and tear.
- The check engine light is on. Your check engine light could signal a problem with your vehicle’s transmission. The check engine light is not only for flagging issues with the vehicle’s engine.
- Burning smells. When your vehicle makes burning smells, it is never a good thing. If your vehicle’s transmission smells like it is burning, then you should take it into the shop for repairs.
- Grinding or shaking sensation. If your vehicle makes a grinding or shaking sensation when shifting gears, it could be a warning sign of a transmission issue.
- Your vehicle lacks power. If you attempt to turn on your vehicle but it lacks power, then you may have a transmission issue. Our Torrance auto mechanics could diagnose the problem.
- Lots of noise in neutral. Are you hearing lots of noise while in neutral or not moving? It is possible your transmission or engine is the culprit.
- Loose clutch pedal. If the clutch pedal feels loose, or if you touch it and nothing happens, it could be a warning sign that something is wrong with your slave cylinder.
What Are Causes of Transmission Problems?
Wear and tear is a common cause of transmission problems. However, your transmission may also experience problems for the following reasons.
- Low transmission fluid
- Lack of regular maintenance
- Worn clutch
- Worn gear synchronizers
- Computer and sensor issues
Contact Us for Transmission Repair in Torrance
Looking for transmission repair in Torrance? Look no further. Torrance Transmission Service, Inc. has decades of experience repairing domestic and international vehicles. Call us at (310) 378-9217 or use the contact form on our site for more information on our services.