Complete Automotive Repair Services
FAQs About Common Vehicle Problems
Automotive problems can quickly turn into an expensive headache. Never wait to have your vehicle checked out if you suspect there is a problem. Minor problems can quickly turn into major problems if a mechanical issue remains unresolved. Below, we answer some of the most common questions we receive about our general auto repair services.
Does Torrance Transmission Service Offer Free Consultations?
If you want to contact us to inquire about a possible problem with your vehicle, call us for a free initial consultation.
How Often Should You Rotate Your Tires?You should rotate your tires semi-regularly to ensure they remain in good working condition. However, how often you should rotate your tires depends on the vehicle. Front, rear and all-wheel drive vehicles experience different rates of wear and tear.For many types of vehicles, you should rotate the tires every 3,000 to 5,000 miles. If you want a more definitive answer, then you should contact your dealership or review the owner’s manual.
How Do I Know When to Change Brake Pads?You should consult with your vehicle’s manufacturer for more definitive information on replacing brake pads. For many vehicles, it is advisable to change the brake pads every 50,000 miles. Below are some warning signs that you should change your brake pads:
- Strange noises.Are your brakes making squealing, grinding or squeaking noises? It may be a good idea to have an auto mechanic check your brake pads.
- Indicator light is on. Indicator lights could signal that your brake pads are unsafe. If your brake light is on, consider bringing your car in for an inspection.
- Vibrating brake pedal. Worn brake pads may cause the brake pedal to vibrate.
What Does the Check Engine Light Mean?In most cases, nothing good. If your check engine light is on, it could mean your vehicle has a serious problem. The check engine light could mean your vehicle has low oil pressure or is overheating. It could also mean you have worn spark plugs or wires in your vehicle. If you have an older vehicle, an issue with the ignition switch could cause the check engine light to flip on. Consider bringing your vehicle in for an inspection so we can determine the cause.
What are Warning Signs of a Problem With the Suspension System?Much like with a faulty transmission or brake pads, problems with the suspension system may cause loud noises. You are most likely to notice noises while driving on uneven surfaces or coming to a stop. Additional warning signs of suspension problems include:
- Drifting. If your vehicle drifts off to the side, or you feel as if you are drifting while making turns, then it might be time for a new suspension.
- Braking issues. If your suspension is faulty, then you may notice issues with your vehicle when coming to a stop. The nose of the vehicle might point sharply downward.
- Bumpy handling. Your vehicle’s suspension helps make your drive smooth. If you notice your vehicle continues to bump after driving over a pothole or other uneven surface, then it could be a red flag your transmission is faulty.